Friday 31 January 2014

ISLAND ADVENTURE

There was a moment during a recent ferry trip across Backstairs Passage to Kangaroo Island when I was whisked back to childhood. What is it about the blurry outline of an island on the other side of a stretch of water that evokes adventure, mystery and discoveries? I blame it on Enid Blyton and the Famous Five!



How I loved those books. They seduced me into believing I could do anything, be anything I wanted. Every child needs to know that before they grow up. I was each of the characters in turn, fell in and out of love with Julian and eventually recognised I was in no way – could never be - like George, except in my imagination. I moved on to other authors and different fantasies, but I was forever enriched by those books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment